Thursday, July 12, 2007

can chmod command be dangerous???

We all think that chmod is there just to help us and it can never do any harm to the system. But hey wait for a sec... too much of a permission can be dangerous too. I came to know about this today when one of my team member has just ran the below command on one of our Linux servers.

chmod -R 777 *

As soon as this command is executed Linux system has suspected something wrong has happened and it stopped serving any service. I was not even able to do ssh to the box. I had to change the permissions (reduce the permissions) on the files to make the system ssh working.

No comments:

Hub and Switch and Router

I was doing a udemy course to learn more about the networking concepts and wanted to clarify the confusion between Hub, Switch and Router. ...